Thursday, April 10, 2008

hello diary..my first topics are on you now.. :)

Hi diary, how are you? It's nice to meet and made you on this site.. hahaha..
Is it sound nice if I call you only "diary"? well, I guest no. Let's give you a name.

hmmm...how about "Serena"? I've just watched TV series, that is Gossip Girl.
There's a girl named Serena. She's kind o
f a best friend for her friend. Never let her friend being alone with troubles. And always be there when her friend needs her help. Well, I hope you can be like that, because you have to (hehehe). You have to be with me at least for this whole one week, help me to do the assignment.. and I'm sure, you are going to help me..



Let's start, Serena...




now, 10th April 2008
I read a question at living tech part, "Who needs a laptop when you can pack your life onto the palm?" written by Gene Khor from LIME magazine, page 33, December 2007 edition.
Based on what I've learned from Critical Thinking subject, this question is a leading question form. Why?
From the definition, leading question is a question that is worded in a way that will "guide" the person being questioned in making his or her response. This question is also trying to guide someone's answer in a certain direction, trying to get them say the things that you want them to.
"Who needs a laptop when you can pack your life onto the palm?"
Palm is more simple than laptop. It is smaller, slimmer and of course easier to us to bring it with us because it is lighter that laptop. The function of PDA is same with laptop. You can save your files (any kind of files such as pictures, music, word data).
This question is telling us if we better use device such as Palm rather than laptop because those reasons (smaller, slimmer, and easier to bring with). And through this question, the editors is trying to persuade the readers to say the same things or agree with him/her. The editor trying to get the readers say the things that the editor want the readers to, that is "yes, I prefer to Palm than Laptop" or "I'm going to change my old laptop with the simple PALM"

Palm


Laptop


Well, we only have one idea until this time, Serena..
hmm... just wait for a minute Serena. I'll be back with another thing so we could analyze it soon.



1 comment:

Gene said...

Ha, quite right. That's a very astute observation :) Thanks for taking the time to read it.

- Gene Khor